All three of these streets are named for Guilford Reed Wilson. Mr. Wilson was a pioneer coal dealer and an early member of the Buffalo Board of Trade. He was born in Burlington NJ in 1813 and was educated in Philadelphia. He was associated with lumber interests in Corning in his 20s. He came to Buffalo at the age of 25 and embarked in the iron and coal business. He was also director of several local banks and a member of the Board of Trade. He was also one of the earliest members of the Buffalo Club.
Mr. Wilson acquired extensive real estate and owned and developed the tract of land through which Guilford, Reed and Wilson Streets were cut. He owned the land along with other prominent Buffalonians – the Rich and Townsend Families. He was married to Jane Townsend, daughter of Charles Townsend (a judge and prominent Buffalonian himself). After their marriage, Wilson and his wife lived in Judge Townsend’s mansion at Main and Tupper Streets. Mr. Wilson remained in Buffalo until his death in 1977.
- “Three Streets Honor Pioneer Coal Dealer”Courier Express Dec 25, 1938, sec. 7 p 8.
- Memorial and Family History of Erie County. The Genealogical Publishing Company: Buffalo, NY 1906.